Sunday, June 5, 2011

Toys Toys Toys

We've been dealing with toy issues for a while now. Wayne is not a very big toy fan and i'm not a big mess fan so we needed to come up with some way to eliminate these problems. I don't buy toys unless it's a special occasion (birthday or christmas) and we have had them, for the most part organized in our credenza. I tried only letting the kiddos play with one thing at a time, but they are pretty much capable of dumping out all toys in a matter of seconds, so that wasn't really working. Pres and Noah make huge messes and we have a hard time getting them to clean them up. I would just throw the toys all in the trash but I hate to get rid of the few that we have.

A while back Wayne suggested that we should lock them (the toys) in a closet or something. I laughed and thought he was crazy. Then after a few more days of toy chaos I caved. Wayne decided to bust out the childproof locks and now our toy credenza is kid proof. Sometimes I feel like a mean mom because my kids can't freely dump out all of their toys, but I have noticed that they are still able to find other ways to play without a massive plasstic mess in our living room.

So now instead of toys all over the place we have new messes to deal with. Wall decor, book cases, shoes, and pots and pans are all very fun for our kiddos now. Lately the fridge has been a huge hit in keeping our kids entertained. They love to swing on the door and rearrange condiments. Hairbows are found throughout the house and stuffed in random places. My make-up is also fun for little Noah, who like his mother, has a love for red lipstick.

I guess we should have just locked them (the kiddos) in the closet instead:)










6 comments:

The Wynia Family said...

You are so silly. That is why kids have toys, so they don't ruin things that have a little more value, like expensive lipstick! If you have kids that actually enjoy playing with toys then let them have at it, trust me not all kids are entertained with toys, it is a blessing. They will learn to pick up after themselves. Remember when mom would warn us that whatever was left lying around got locked away for a month...? It worked pretty good as far as I remember. Not saying you need a ton of toys but come on momma :)

Amy and Wayne Taylor said...

You are preachin to the choir sister. Tell my sweet husband this and maybe he'll take the locks off:) hehe

The Wynia Family said...

With Julie being here we have been missing you! Your kiddos would have so much fun with Preston and Aubrey. And I have a pile of clothes for Noah too :)

Amy and Wayne Taylor said...

I know they would love to play with their cousins. I wish you guys were coming here next weekend with mom. We need to live close:) I'm excited for the box of clothes for Noah, he could use some new digs. Send em with madre:)

The Parents said...

I never could come up with a solution to the toy problem. I found that the kids fun was to empty the toy box and play in the toy box and never look at the toys after they were strung out all over the house. Then they started on the pots, pans and anything else that was within their reach. I found the less toys the less I had to pick up. A big box would intertain them for hours.

The Parents said...

Sorry I spelled entertain with an "i" my spelling is really getting bad!