Friday, September 16, 2011

Our Trip to the ER

While we were in Montana Presleigh had a little accident which landed her in the ER. We were having a family dinner get together and all the kids were playing outside. I was sitting at the table talking to my sister Nicole with Noah curled up in my arms (he had just woken up from a nap and was being needy) when my Bro-in-law Cale brought my poor little Pres inside. She was crying pretty hard and her finger was gushing blood. He told us that she had gotten her finger smashed in the playhouse door. I went to give Noah to my sister but she took Presleigh instead which I am so grateful for because I didn't really know what to do. Nicole is a nurse and was way more calm then I was. I didn't really think it was that big of a deal because Pres has gotten a finger slammed in a door before and it didn't really do much damage. But apparently while Nicole was rinsing it with water in the bathroom she saw that it was really bad. So we loaded up and went to the ER. We wrapped her little hand with a towel and told her that the doctor was going to help her finger feel better, and as soon as we got into the car she calmed down and was fine for most of our ER experience. She even fell asleep for a little while on my lap:)

We sat in the ER for quite a while. This is a picture of us waiting for the Doctor to repair her finger.
This is while the doctor was looking at it. I have to say that when the nurse checked it out it looked like this, not too extreme of a cut across her finger. But when the doctor was looking at it I finally saw what my sister had seen when she was rinsing it in the bathroom, that it was hanging on by just a little bit of skin:( The doctor had an x-ray done to make sure that her finger wasn't fractured which it wasn't,thank goodness. Then a couple hours later they came back in and told me that they were going to put her in a papoose thing and stitch her up. I asked if they were going to sedate her and that's when the doctor said that they could sedate her if I wanted.

Ok this was a tough thing for me. No I didn't want my little daughter to go under with medication, but I thought that the papoose thing would have been complete torture. Not being able to move, getting shots in her wound, sounded like it would not be fun for her or for me. So yes, Presleigh was sedated and got 5 stiches in her pinky finger. The doctor told us that it was 3/4 of the way amputated. I felt pretty nauseous while they were stitching her up, but I'm pretty sure it was because I always feel nauseous these days. Seriously I don't know how my daughter was not freaking out. She was so tough throughout the whole thing. The nurse had given her a few princess stickers and she was so excited about them.

While we were waiting for Presleigh to wake up my mom brought Nicole and I some of the dinner that we had missed out on. It was delicious.

When Presleigh started waking up she was so funny. She looked at me and said "mommy, how come you have so many teeth?" I didn't realize that she was probably seeing double or triple so I just answed "so that we can chew our food." She asked this a bunch of times and just kept making odd comments about my teeth. After she had been mostly awake for about an hour we were able to take her home.

They told me not to let her walk because she would be pretty wobbly for a while which I thought wouldn't be an issue because it was midnight. When we got home though I laid Presleigh down and had to run upstairs to grab some medicine. I told her to stay put and not to get up, but of course as I walked downstairs I saw Presleigh stumbling trying to walk to me. I caught her right before she biffed it.


We had to go back to the hospital two days later to get her finger checked out and this is what it looked like. I thought it looked awful, but the Doc was very happy with the way it looked and said it was healing better than he thought it would. While we were there Presleigh told me that I was a lot taller last time we were at the hospital (I'm pretty sure she meant when she was on the drugs)




This is a picture of the back of her finger after a couple days. this shows how much was really cut.



When we got back to Idaho I took Pres in to get her stitches out. Her finger is still healing and she says it still hurts. I thought it would heal a lot faster than it is.


This was extra rough on Wayne because while all of this was happening he was stuck in Memphis. Plus my phone was dead so updates weren't happening very often. We are just so so grateful that it wasn't anything life threatening.

1 comment:

Joanna said...

Oh boy, that little pinky of hers got a good slam. Glad it's healing and that the trip to the ER wasn't something worse. I am very surprised at how calm and tough she was through it all. She's a cutie!