Friday, July 24, 2009

Labor and Delivery

I was scheduled to be induced on Sunday the 12th because my doctor was out of town til then. Wayne had planned on driving to SLC after he got off of work on friday and spending the weekend and then leaving either sunday night or monday, depending on baby.

I went in to the doctor on tuesday and found out that I was dialated to a three so we started to get a little nervous that I would go into labor before sunday. Wayne found out that he could take some sick leave which he had accumulated from when he worked for the feds previously so he decided to leave on wednesday. Thursday night we decided to go up to Park City and walk around the outlets because I had heard that this could induce labor. Well it worked!!

Friday morning at about 1:45 am I woke up with contractions. They were really weak but consistently 5 minutes apart. So I decided to take a shower to see if they would go away, which they didn't so we packed up and left for the hospital. We got there around 3:00 in the morning. At about 8:00 I was ready for the epidural but the doc was in a c-section delivery so I had to wait for him to get done. I finally got the epidural at 9:30 and then they broke my water at 10:00. To speed up the process they gave me a little pitocin. My epidural went up into my chest again and was in my right arm big time. This time around i could feel and move my legs a lot more but i still felt way clostrophobic and so of course I got super sick. I also had to have pennicilin through my IV because of group strep B. The pennicilin started burning my whole arm really bad and would get worse when the blood pressure cuff would inflate. I thought my arm was going to fall off at one point but the nurse figured out how to fix it. Then they put in the catheter, which was the most uncomfortable part of the whole experience. Catheters and I just don't mix well!! Right when I was about to pull the stupid catheter out, my doctor told me i was dialated to a 10 and ready to push. I pushed for about 20 minutes before this sweet little boy entered the world.

Noah got to spend the whole day with us on Friday but Saturday he spent in the nursery on lights because he was a little bit jaundice. We were a little worried that this would delay our traveling to Sacramento but the doctors cleared him on Sunday to go home. So we left the hospital on Sunday morning and headed for Sacramento. It was a long 13 hour drive home but Noah did great.

2 comments:

Botts said...

I'm so glad you got to have him while Wayne was here. What a champ you are Amy! I can't believe you took a 13 hour drive home straight from the hospital!

Salina said...

Congrats! So glad he made his arrival with Wayne there! I too am impressed you made such a long drive with a newborn!