Sunday, April 15, 2012

Presleigh Loves Stories


Presleigh loves a good story.  She loves listening to stories and is able to remember stories very easily.  She loves watching movies.  She watches them and then tells me all about the story and what happen.

When Wayne and I were dating he would always tell me funny stories from when he grew up.  I couldn't believe how well he could remember details of these random experiences that he had. We are starting to see that our children are this same way.  Presleigh likes to start some of her stories with, "remember when I was a baby."  Or she will say "remember when I was three."  And then she will talk about something that we did or what she was like as a baby.  Obviously she doesn't remember when she was a baby but she remembers stories that we have told her about when she was a baby.

A few weeks ago Presleigh came home from church and sat down by me while I nursed Holland.  She started telling me a story.  It didn't take long for me to recognize the story.  It was a story that President Monson had told during one of his Conference talks about when he left money in his pants pocket and then sent them away to be washed.  She had heard the story that day during her primary class. I was so impressed that she had listened well enough during sunbeams to be able to retell the story that she had heard.  She told me about how President Monson Prayed to Heavenly Father that his money would still be in his pocket.

A couple days after Presleigh told me about this story I took her to preschool.  For some reason she was extra clingy that morning and didn't want me to leave her.  When I picked her up from preschool her teacher told me that during their circle time Pres had bowed her head and when she was done she said, "I prayed that my mommy would come back and get me."

We have been trying hard to have consistent family scripture reading.  We will each read 1 or 2 scriptures depending on how well the kids are behaving and then we will talk about what our favorite part of those scriptures were.  During family home evening we have been going over a few different scripture stories with them.  Presleigh is really good at telling parts of the stories too.  I have to say that this has not been easy.  Some nights the kids want nothing to do with sitting quietly to read the scriptures.  They run all over the place and a lot of times I think they aren't getting much out of our FHE lessons either.

But then today another mom told me that during primary the kids were learning about repentance. Presleigh apparently raised her hand and said, "Adam had to repent after he ate the fruit from the tree."  Oh my goodness, my sweet little 4 year old is learning from our lessons and scripture reading.  She is able to remember these stories and even teach others. 

I love my little Presleigh and her amazing memory and love for stories!!!

No comments: